Clinical Trials Begin For Investigating Stem Cell Therapy For COVID-19 Pneumonia
March 20, 2020
From Ahvie Herskowitz, MD and Devin Wilson, ND
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues researchers scramble to find viable treatments.
Since the pandemic began the number of clinical trials exploring potential treatments for COVID-19 has exploded. In addition to conventional medications, vaccines and new drugs, researchers are investigating stem cell therapy as a potential treatment for COVID-19 pneumonia.
See below for a list of stem cell therapy trials and one trial using exosome therapy. Follow the links for more detailed information about each trial.
- Mesenchymal Stem Cell Treatment for Pneumonia Patients Infected With 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Study of Human Umbilical Cord Mesenchymal Stem Cells in the Treatment of Novel Coronavirus Severe Pneumonia
- Umbilical Cord(UC)-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells(MSCs) Treatment for the 2019-novel Coronavirus(nCOV) Pneumonia
- Treatment With Mesenchymal Stem Cells for Severe Corona Virus Disease 2019(COVID-19)
- Novel Coronavirus Induced Severe Pneumonia Treated by Dental Pulp Mesenchymal Stem Cells
- Stem Cell Educator Therapy Treat the Viral Inflammation Caused by Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2
- A Pilot Clinical Study on Inhalation of Mesenchymal Stem Cells Exosomes Treating Severe Novel Coronavirus Pneumonia
The trials listed above use stem cell therapy for the TREATMENT of patients infected with COVID-19, but what about using stem cells and exosomes for PREVENTION? Stem cells have been used therapeutically for a variety of lung diseases and have been shown to reduce inflammation, improve immune surveillance and significantly modulate the immune system. Although there are currently no trials investigating stems cells or exosomes for the PREVENTION of COVID-19, these therapies may be a useful tool to prime the immune system.
About Ahvie Herskowitz, MD
Dr. Herskowitz’s extensive training includes a medical degree from The Albert Einstein College of Medicine, residencies in Anatomic Pathology and Internal Medicine, and Fellowship training in Cardiology at The Johns Hopkins Medical Center. During his 12 years at Johns Hopkins, he became Associate Professor of Medicine and Immunology and Molecular Microbiology and led a research team in the study of molecular and immunological mechanisms of inflammation, autoimmunity, ischemia, heart transplantation rejection and congestive heart failure.
Dr. Herskowitz’s latest academic appointment was as Clinical Professor of Medicine at UC San Francisco. To learn more about Dr. Herskowitz, you can read it bio here.
About Devin Wilson, ND
Dr. Devin Wilson is a licensed Naturopathic Doctor in the state of California. He treats an array of acute and chronic diseases using a holistic and integrative approach to health. Dr. Wilson is also a health consultant, researcher and writer focusing on anti-aging and longevity medicine including stem cell therapy and exosome therapy.
If you have questions about a bill or other information, then please call us directly at 1 (888) 453-6825.
Any and all statements and opinions are provided for educational information and are not intended for medical diagnosis. As with all medical treatments and procedures, results may vary on an individual basis.
We are closed on Federal Holidays.
Where we are
Anatara Medicine & San Francisco Stem Cell Treatment Center | 1700 California Street, Suite 520 | San Francisco, CA 94109 | P: 1 (888) 453-6825 | F: (415) 345-0059